Sunday, July 22, 2007

FO and Garden Report

Mom's socks are done! Yay! Below is a picture. It's not a very good picture, but get used to it...I am not the family photographer. Anyhow, I think she will like them. She asked for socks in this color, and when she tried on the one she said it was the best fitting sock yet. I knit mom a lot of socks... Mom is my top knit supporter. Well, mom and DH that is.
Mom, you can pick up your socks when you and dad come to our house to go to the family reunion!


And here is the picture that will explain my concern about possibly running out of yarn. This is exactly how much yarn was left upon completion. Including the bits trimmed off after weaving in the ends. All knitters will look at this and feel the sting of fear.




And now for some garden pics. Below you will see Corn Corner. I decided that I wanted DH to plant me some corn. He said there wasn't much chance of getting actual corn, but now it has grown taller than the fence and is starting to get those corn dreadlocks that start actual ears of corn. I'm so excited!


And this is where a small portion of our veggies come from. These barrels contain tomatoes, squash, radishes, garlic, and some herbs. A little crowded, but producing like crazy. I don't have pics yet of the rest of the garden, but this is the fancy stuff. DH used rebar and caging left over from concrete pouring to build 10 foot tall tomato cages. And I think the tomatoes may actually get that high! DH is a little bit of an extremist with, well, everything.





Here is what we picked last night. This is in addition to the stuff you saw a few days ago. Anyone have any good squash and zucchini recipes? We're getting a little sick of it already. Here's the cool thing though...see that one that is yellow but shaped like a zucchini? DH says the roots merged between a squash and a zucchini plant and this is a hybrid. It is mostly green on one side and yellow on the other. Seriously cool.



This is about all I have to report for the evening. We are about to feast on some yummy steak, cheddar broccoli rice, and, you guessed it, zucchini. Wanna see how DH is BBQing it tonight? Here's a pic. He should be a chef.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever had zucchini bread-or chocolate zucchini bread? That would take care of some of it.

Hollis said...

If you can find someone who knows how to make risotto, my favorite way to use up zucchini is via an awesome Cook's Illustrated recipe for same.

(It's just a vehicle for Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese, anyway.)