Tuesday, July 10, 2007

How the Addiction Began

I really was planning to go to bed, but I want to stay up for another 20 minutes to see what tomorrow's offering will be on http://www.woot.com/. That is my new addiction, BTW. Anyhow, here is my first blog request.

How/Why I Started Knitting and How I learned To Knit

Sometimes, okay, most of the time, I like to read really easy books. My brain gets worked so much during the day that I prefer to read what I call mind-candy. One of the authors on the very lowest rung of mind-candy (for me) is Debbie Macomber. I read one of her books when I was staying at grandma's one time and decided they are okay.

So I read one called The Shop on Blossom Street. It is about a knitting store and the stories about the various knitters and the owner. I enjoyed the book, and even more, I enjoyed the concept of knitting. Then she came out with a sequel and I got the same "stirring". In one of the books they did a class on how to knit socks using circular needles. I didn't know anything different, but she made it sound easy so I thought I would give it a try some day. But I didn't really know where to start.

So I visited TamarianG's blog and asked her a question about it. Tama is my other inspiration. Every time she would discuss knitting I would feel like it was something I should try. Anyhow, she recommended Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, so I kept that on my mind.

To back up a little, grandma did say that I learned to knit when I was very young and that I loved it, but I don't really remember this. I also did buy a DIY book on knitting a few years back, but it didn't "take" I guess.

Anyhow, back to the story. One day I was driving home from my grandma's house and I remembered there was a little knitting store on the way so I dropped in. I tried to be casual, but I had no clue of what to do. A lady working there helped me to locate the book, some purple and yellow variegated yarn, and two #2 circular needles. She then asked me if I knew how to cast on or do any stitches, and I had to admit that I didn't really remember.

As soon as she demonstrated for me, it clicked. My memories from being very young must have come back or something, because I sort of understood what she was doing. I promptly went home and started surfing the net to find instructions. I think my main source of help was http://www.knittinghelp.com/, which has helpful videos.

Anyhow, between that site and the book, I started my sock. Only problem? I understood the knit stitch (though I was knitting through the back loop, which was why it was not working quite right) but the purl stitch was completely baffling to me. So I knit the entire top of the sock using the knit stitch and various other made up stitches.

It sounds awful, but it was a surprisingly good sock for a first effort.




Eventually I went back to the yarn store and met the nice owner who straightened me out a bit. She patiently explained how to do the knit stitch the right way and how to purl and SSK and all sorts of other things I needed to know. I learn pretty fast, so it only took her a few minutes.

I never did make that second sock. The purple/yellow thing was quite horrific for a man's sock. But it was an interesting color combo and it kept me busy.

From there, I don't remember what I made next. But I was hooked from the first stitch. Now I am a fairly decent and completely fearless knitter.

Now that I understand what knitting really is, I will try anything without hesitation. The interesting part of this is the way I truly learn now. I will read up on a technique but it won't sink in completely. I usually won't even try it immediately because I always have something else I am working on. But then I will dream about the technique. And in my dream, I will work it out and completely understand it. And when I wake up, I know how to do it. I have done this with countless things...the two I remember most are using DPNs (double pointed needles) and cables.

As for the fearless part, here is an example. I decided that I wanted to knit a sweater for myself (my first one) and that I wanted to learn how to cable. So I picked this crazy complicated sweater with cables and lace and went to town. And ya know what? It turned out to be gorgeous! And it fits perfectly. Granted, every top I have knit since then has had fit issues. But still! The only issue with it is that it is knit with a merino/alpaca blend so it's really warm. And the lace is the whole shoulder area and full length arms. This means that when I wear it, I am roasting up to my collar bone area and freezing everywhere else. Not terribly practical.

Anyhow, I'm pretty proud of that sweater and many other things I have made. Knitting makes me feel like an artist. With a pattern to follow. I has zero artistic talent, so this is nice. I do not hesitate to "wing it" with knitting, but I am not yet skilled enough to make up a pattern for an actual garment yet. But I fiddle with patterns all the time. Anytime I can convert something to be knit in the round, I do because I really don't love to purl.

Anyhow, that's about it for my knitting story, I think. What did I leave out or need to explain?

2 comments:

Hollis said...

Very cool! I remember Tama saying that knitting was so perfect for Type A types because it was relaxing while also accomplishing something at the same time (if that makes sense).

I really am intrigued and hope to learn some day. It is the new trend, you know. I can't wait till i know the difference between knit stitch and purl. (My mom tried to teach me once and i was too into the whole crocheting thing to learn.)

PS - I think you should frame that first sock in a shadow box and put it on display in La Biblioteque du Soleil.

Sunny said...

You know? I never thought about framing the sock. I think I may do that! Or will at least display it in my fancy book case.